Kitchen Cabinet Refacing
If you feel that your kitchen cabinets are looking tired and dates, then you could consider having your kitchen cabinets refaced to give them a new and fresh look. From changing all of the kitchen cabinet doors to only changing the cabinet handles, there are many different options are available. Cabinet refacing is a very simple, budget friendly and fast approach of getting a new updated look for one of the most used parts of your home.
Things to consider
Before you start to think about refacing your kitchen cabinets, you need to first determine if your cabinets are worth refacing. If you own cabinets made of composite wood covered with laminate wood grain veneer, then you may need to buy new cabinets because refacing may not be enough. If your cabinets are severely cracked or rotted, then refacing is not an option. Refacing can give your cabinets a new look, but it cannot save deteriorated cabinets.
Take a look at the pros and cons of this approach, compared to changing the entire kitchen.
Advantages of refacing
- Refacing and exchange work on your kitchen cabinet will be done within a very short time. The actual process of changing the fronts of your drawers and doors, together with applying the new surface to the outside of the cabinets is usually done within a day or two. Without lots of dusty work, as little to no adaptation is necessary.
- It is a rather cheap way of getting a totally fresh look into your kitchen, compared to the investment in a new kitchen.
- Only the look changes. As simple as this, with changing of the fronts of the kitchen, the cabinets and all kitchen appliances still stay the same. So think about that old oven which is now over 20 years old and ask yourself if you still want to use it, even after you changed the kitchen design completely.
If you think about cabinet remodeling, make sure you understand that the result will be a fresh new looking kitchen, with the same cabinet distribution and appliances. So you might wish to think about changing that old kitchen exhaust hood as well at the same time.
Steps to get your kitchen cabinets refaced
- Find different cabinet makers or kitchen cabinet refacing companies around your area and invite them at your house. Most of the companies have franchisers all over the country, so have a look on the web and at your local yellow pages. Make sure you get at least three different ones giving you a quote.
- Work together with them, get some ideas and have them set up a kitchen design plan or if possible get some kind of 3D picture of what your kitchen would look like after the refacing. Today many refacing companies offer this kind of computer generated kitchen plan.
- Make sure you are not just thinking about the optical changes like drawer fronts and doors or islands, but also if there is any need to change further hardware. Like drawer guides, hinges and cabinet shelf boards.
- Compare the different cost estimates, have a look on the quality of material they are offering and the timeframe they are planning the work will need. Then choose the one out of the refacing companies which you like most and go for it.
- Usually the work will be done in one or two days, depending on the size of the kitchen. It consists of changing drawer and door fronts, changing the kitchen top (if needed) and reworking the outsides of the cabinets.
Cabinet refacing tips
If you do decide to reface your cabinets, consider getting a little creative with the process. You can use wood trim to add visual enhancements to your cabinets that will look great when the cabinets are refaced. For example, a wood frame made of thin wood trim laid out to make your cabinets look like windows would give your cabinets a new look. You may also want to consider cutting out portions of your cabinets and installing glass in the doors before you resurface them. Spend some time being creative and you will be very happy with the results you get.
So after the entire process, with changing drawer fronts, doors and putting a new kitchen top in, you will have this feeling of beautiful new kitchen. Make sure you spend some extra money and effort in upgrading drawer slides as well. If you do need to upgrade some of your kitchen appliances, you may also want to do it at the same time as your kitchen cabinet refacing process.